The UA Fort Smith Alumni Association will feature young alumni and what their life after graduation has been like. If you would like to be featured, please e-mail alumni@uafortsmith.edu.



Friday, April 30, 2010

Brock Girard '03

I graduated from UAFS in the Spring of 2003 with an Associate of Applied Science in Graphic Design. We were the second class to finish the then very young program. The school was actually Westark Community College when I started, but switched to UA Fort Smith during my enrollment. It’s amazing how far the graphic design program has come since then!


My life is a lot different than it was in 2003. I’m a husband, a father of two, an experienced graphic designer and most importantly a Christian. In my spare time (ha!) I love watching sports. Especially, my childhood favorite team the Chicago Cubs. I’m also a Dallas Cowboys and Arkansas Razorbacks fan. When I’m not watching sports, but probably more accurately during time-outs, I’m using my iPhone or reading rumors about the next great Apple invention. Surprising for a graphic designer, I know.

My family and I are greatly involved in our church – Heritage United Methodist Church in Van Buren. I run sound in our contemporary service, serve on the Lay Leadership Development Team and occasionally usher. Heritage is an amazing church and I recommend it to anyone looking for a place to worship in the River Valley.

(My wife and I with our two kids)

Since graduating I’ve worked at some really great places in Fort Smith. I got my feet wet in the marketing department at Riverside Furniture. My projects ranged from creating a simple logo for a new line of furniture, to designing my share of a 120 page “magalog”, to flying to High Point, NC to shoot photography of our newest furniture in the showroom.

Since the fall of 2005 I’ve been the art director at Williams/Crawford & Associates, by far the oldest advertising agency in the River Valley. Our clients include nationally-know companies like Taco Bell, KFC and Golden Corral, as well as, local entities including First Bank Corp., Van Buren Advertising and Promotion and the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith. I returned to Williams/Crawford full-time after originally interning in 2002.


I really did leave school with the knowledge and even experience needed to enter the workforce. But, unlike a lot of graduates, I didn’t leave with any debt. I truly do feel that I’ve received a first-class education right here at home and have been able to give back by serving on the UAFS Graphic Design Advisory Board and by working with interns. I’ve been extremely fortunate to have had a great college experience at UA Fort Smith and who knows, maybe I’ll even go back to further my education!

No comments:

Post a Comment