The UA Fort Smith Alumni Association will feature young alumni and what their life after graduation has been like. If you would like to be featured, please e-mail alumni@uafortsmith.edu.



Friday, July 30, 2010

Stephanie London '06

I graduated from UA Fort Smith in 2006 with a degree in English, but my heavy involvement in student organizations is what really helped me get to where I am today. I loved being so involved with Campus Activities Board, Cub Camp, and so much more. Toward the end of my senior year, during a trip to Walton Arts Center with our Emerging Leaders Program through Student Activities, we met with several staff. In doing so, I learned of an event assistant position that was open. Soon after I decided to apply and was awarded the position. I served as an event assistant in the Production Department of Walton Arts Center working backstage at large productions, booking events, and helping coordinate special events.
One year of working at Walton Arts Center was a great experience, but I really wanted to stay in Fort Smith so when I was offered the position of Student Activities Event Coordinator at UA Fort Smith, I quickly accepted.

I absolutely love working back at my alma mater! I get to plan events and work with students every day. The best part about my job is seeing how much students grow throughout their time at UA Fort Smith. I’ve also had the opportunity to travel with students to places like Orlando, Washington D.C., and more.

 
Taking students to the National Conference on Student Leadership in Washington D.C.


Student Affairs staff acting as targets (literally) for a water balloon fight at Island Party

One of my favorite memories as a staff member at UA Fort Smith was being a namesake for Cub Camp 2009. As a founding member of the organization when I was a student, it is exciting to see the changes and impact this activity still has on incoming freshman. Being asked back as a namesake was a great honor.

 
Getting pied in the face as Cub Camp 2009 Namesake for London’s Lava Loving Lobsters

I am also the Vice Chair of Young Emerging of Fort Smith (YEL). Having been a part of this networking organization for young professionals in the area for the past few years has been a great experience and I love serving in this voluntary role. We have leadership and professional development events, as well as social networking opportunities like taking a group to see the Arkansas Naturals play baseball.


During a YEL trip to see the Arkansas Naturals

In my personal life, I enjoy reading (English degree in me) and spending time with my family and boyfriend of three and half years, John. We live in Fort Smith with our little family - a 2 year old “chiwennie,” half Chihuahua, half dachshund, that we adopted named Macy.

 
The now very spoiled Macy

No comments:

Post a Comment