The UA Fort Smith Alumni Association will feature young alumni and what their life after graduation has been like. If you would like to be featured, please e-mail alumni@uafortsmith.edu.



Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Katie Hurt '10

In December of 2010, I graduated with a degree in Early Childhood Education from the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith. It amazes me think that almost one year has gone by since that date! I have nothing but great memories looking back at my time while attending UAFS. The education program prepared me to not only be knowledgeable in my career choice, but also gave me an even greater love and desire for teaching. I enjoyed the experience that was given to me, the people I was able to meet and build relationships with, and for the lasting memories I will always have!

 At Graduation

After graduation, I stayed busy in local classrooms as both a temporary and long-term substitute teacher. I was also very active in an after-school program at Lavaca Elementary. In June, I was called about a position teaching Kindergarten in Lavaca. It could not have come at a better time! I was so excited to begin preparing for my first year as a Kindergarten teacher. I began in August, and it just keeps getting better. I have 16 students that brighten every day, and I love seeing them learn new things each and every week!

Along with teaching, I have also taken on the job as the Lavaca Jr. High cheerleading coach. I stay busy with cheerleading practices and attending ball games near and far. It has been a great and fun experience, and I love every minute I get to spend with those cheerleaders! Outside of work, I enjoy spending time with family and friends, being involved with my church, and playing with my dog, Gizzy, who is full of energy and is lots of fun!
Gizzy
 
I am so thankful for the education that I received as a student at UA Fort Smith. It prepared me to feel completely comfortable starting a new job in a career that I absolutely love! I am also thankful to the professors and everyone who held a part in helping get me to where I am today! I am forever grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment